"The Animated Life Forums"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite characters who don't speak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "The Animated Life Forums" Forum Index -> Animated Life
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
Master
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Star wrote:
I don't think Taz talks, he just spins around, and then occasionally stops and huffs....

He talks a little bit some times.
Vicky
Master
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, not only am I not particularly fond of silent characters but I also prefer it when they can talk intelligently (and not make noises like, say, Tuck and Roll from A Bug's Life). In fact, many of those I am going to list have actually talked at least once in their career:

Pluto (he does bark a lot but I do not recall a single occasion when he actually talked in a animated movie or short although he does talk in some comic books but without being able to communicate with Mickey or anyone else who is NOT a pet like him).

Snowy from the Tintin TV series and movies, who, like Pluto, does not talk on the basis that he is a pet. In comic books he can talk to other animals but not to Tintin or any other humans (although there are some indications that in the earliest stories, Tintin himself could actually understand him).

Figaro the cat (who made his debut in "Pinocchio" and later co-starred with Pluto in several Disney shorts and in House of Mouse as Minnie's pet).

Dinah the Duchshund (one of Pluto's love interests)

Tom (from the Tom and Jerry cartoons). He is known as a silent character although both he and Jerry did occasionally have lines even without counting the movies.

Penelope the cat (who is the unwilling object of Pepe's affections) though she did get to have lines in a couple of cartoons, most notably in Carrot Blanca.

Wile E Coyote (it must be noted, however, that for a short period of his career, when he was after Bugs Bunny rather than the Road Runner, not only could he talk but he was quite articulate too).

Furrball from Tiny Toons (who was in general just a mewing kitten with the exception of a few episodes where he can talk like the rest of the cast).

Calamity Coyote from Tiny Toons

The Pink Panther (mostly silent but still had some occasional lines)

I will also include the Tazmanian Devil and Ed the hyena although I don't actually consider them fully non-talking. Taz does talk quite a few times but he is hard to understand. Ed talks much less but as his gibberish is even less comprehensible I quite understand why anyone would classify him as a non-talking character.
Vulpecula
Master
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epona (The Legend of Zelda series)
Black Hayate (Full Metal Alchemist)
Menchi (Excel Saga)

Other then that, most of my favorite characters speak in some way or another, whether if it's gibberish like in Cat Soup/Nekojiru-So or real voices like in the Star Fox series.

I dislike Ed the hyena though and would not consider him a great choice (This is my opinion).

Last edited by Vulpecula on Tue May 07, 2013 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Grandpa Budwyn
Master
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until this subject rose to the top of the list to catch my attention, I hadn't realized there were actually so many famous silent characters. I would guess there are just as many who made only one or two appearances and so are not so famous.
The very first one I thought of was Dopey of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. (Or is it Dwarfs? I can never remember.)
Others that people mentioned and I agree with:
Snoopy and Woodstock
Odie
Pluto
Figaro
Penelope the cat
Wile E. Coyote (although he did speak - very articulately - in his career when he faced off against Bugs)
Abu and Carpet (from Aladdin)
Evinrude
Ed the hyena
and my best dog love - Bandit from Jonny Quest.
Oh! I almost forgot to mention that one of the evil trio henchmen in the Fleischer Gulliver's Travels movie didn't speak. He only nodded and shook his head and shrugged. Kinda like Ed, except that Ed at least laughed.
Grandpa Budwyn
Master
Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another this morning, and I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned before, especially with all the talk about Wile E. Coyote, his usual partner. Of course, I mean:

Road Runner!

He never says a word. He makes a funny noise when he sticks his tongue out at Wile E., and he beeps, and sometimes he talks to the audience using printed signs, but he never uses the vocal word. (Unlike a wise-cracking rabbit or a slobbering duck who never seems to shut up.)
SleepingBeautyFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Zipper does speak a little bit.
Vulpecula
Master
Master

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized that Classic Sonic from Sonic Generations did not speak as opposed to Modern Sonic, but still shows his personality through gestures and actions. The reason behind is, according to an interview with Aaron Webber, SEGA was originally going to have Classic Sonic would be voiced by Jaleel White (who previously voiced Sonic in the Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM), Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and Sonic Underground animated series), but they couldn't get him, thus Classic Sonic remained mute when the game's development was finished. Which is odd, since Classic Tails spoke, but not Classic Sonic.

Most heroes of the 'silent protagonist' category don't often speak, but that doesn't stop them from having short phrases or occasional interjections.

Quote:
Oh! I almost forgot to mention that one of the evil trio henchmen in the Fleischer Gulliver's Travels movie didn't speak

Hee-hee-ho! The evil trio henchmen you were talking about are none other than Sneak, Snoop and Snitch. They were the three spies who stole Gulliver's flintlock pistol and tried to shoot him, but missed their opportunity. Sneak is the tallest and sort of the leader of the three; Snoop is the "brawn" to Sneak's "brains", and for some reason, the infamous "Snooping as usual, I see" line from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog comes in mind (He reminded me very much of Dr. Robotnik); and Snitch, on the other hand, is the funny guy of the three, is shorter than the other two, hides a bunch of stuff (such as swords) beneath his coat, and is the only one with hair and lacks a hat. I wasn't sure which one of them you were referring to, but all three have spoken, the last time I checked.

I apologize for going a little off-topic in this post, but I could not help but give a reply and share my knowledge whenever I need to (has nothing to do with favorites). I do my best to stay on topic, so there shouldn't be any problem, here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "The Animated Life Forums" Forum Index -> Animated Life All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: